Friday, December 26

the day the world changed

the Ricky Gervais HBO comedy special has been airing more frequently recently and i keep stumbling on it right when he's talking about how stupid blogs are. i can't help but wonder if that's God's way of trying to give me a hint about my own blog. but o well, boo to you God.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you! i can't believe it's another NYE. time is REALLY flying. am home for the holidays, and something's going on with the computer, so forgive me if this post doesn't have the usual bells and whistles as the others.


just the thought of a new year makes me think about the presidential election. talk about a night of "news" (pronounced like "this is brand NEW stuff" as opposed to "let's watch the evening NEWS". get it?). BLS organized an election viewing event in Geraldo's and, honestly, i didn't think THAT many ppl would attend. o how wrong i was. never underestimate the power of free pizza and wings and beer.

while not everyone there was there for intelligent reasons, but it was really kind fo heartwarming to see ppl there, and those that actually were intelligent and excited about the election were the cutest. something about this year's election really got everyone truly excited and back into the way you're supposed to feel when voting. for instance, on the day of the vote, Coleslaw forwarded the CUTEST email from her dad:

Good Morning Beautiful,

I just got to work after voting this morning. I arrived at my polling place at 5:05 am and I was 32nd in line. By the time the polling place opened at 6 am, the line was a good 175 to 200 yards long. There were three cops directing traffic…it was so surreal.You'd think they were giving out free money! Even after being 32nd,it took another 30 minutes to vote. I'm glad I decided to get up earlier. I am predicting a landslide for Obama. I just feel it…that many people…in the pouring rain…voting. I have never seen that many people at that voting place even if you combined all the times I have voted there over the past ten years! But you know, the majority of people are voting because of race. Many are voting to put a black man in office and others are voting to keep him out. But at least they're voting. God a feel great!! I shit you not, I haven't felt like this since my Dad held me up over that chain link fence in Brunswick, Maine to shake hands with John F. Kennedy. Goose bumps.We are witnessing a great piece of history in this country. People talk about the "good ole days"…these are those good ole days. I wish you had kids your age to witness this. Just a shear numbers of voters is going to be history! I don't think I can get anything done today.For once I am going to be glued my TV waiting for that acceptance speech. Too bad about Obama's Grandmother. Have a great day at work today and remember this day forever.

Love always,
Poppa

wasn't that the cutest? and that's what this election really did feel like. just about everyone was tuned in, everyone had an opinion, everyone sort of cared in one way or another. and then later, after the results were pretty much secured, the election party moved to (where else) Brazen Head. and ppl just honked in the streets and "woo-hooed" all over the place. and when the night was winding down, Coleslaw received an email. and she was so touched and overwhelmed by the moment, she kind of teared a little. the email was this:

I'm about to head to Grant Park to talk to everyone gathered there,but I wanted to write to you first.
We just made history.

And I don't want you to forget how we did it.

You made history every single day during this campaign -- every day you knocked on doors, made a donation, or talked to your family,friends, and neighbors about why you believe it's time for change.

I want to thank all of you who gave your time, talent, and passion to this campaign.

We have a lot of work to do to get our country back on track, and I'll be in touch soon about what comes next.

But I want to be very clear about one thing...

All of this happened because of you.

Thank you,

Barack

1 comment:

************************ said...

yayayayayaya i get the best emails. :)